Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Okay, so I decided to read up on the requirements of Genocide runs, what choices need to be made at each step, and got the whole gist of it via the walkthrough explained on the Wikia site.

And...

Spoiler:
    ...holy crap.

It. Freaking. Permanently. Alters. Your. Game.

Yeeeaaaah... I don't know how I feel about that. I liked that True Pacifist ending and doing this kind of thing dumps a permanent turd all over it that you actually have to go through quite a few hoops to pluck it out of your hard drive and off of the Steam cloud. And that whole Chara breaking the fourth wall crap is kinda creepy. I know it's just a simple game and a few devs having some dark fun with their audience, but geez, that's kind of messed up on a number of levels.

As someone that doesn't play evil characters to begin with in RPGs, this is seriously a high-dive plunge into the dark side like never before.

So yeah, if I asked "what would Jesus do," I don't think he'd touch this with a ten foot pole. Thanks but... *shivers* no thanks...
    XD

Spoiler:
    Well, yes, it does do that. And although there's a bit of effort required it IS possible to completely reset the save file. Also, if you're concerned, you can always back up all the files in your current playthrough to some other place on your computer. Then, if you ever want to replay another pacifist mode, you'd just have to replace/switch the files around. I wasn't bothered by it too much like a lot of people seem to be. Maybe I am evil at heart? xD

That's fine if you don't want to, though.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Papyrus View Post

XD

Spoiler:
    Well, yes, it does do that. And although there's a bit of effort required it IS possible to completely reset the save file. Also, if you're concerned, you can always back up all the files in your current playthrough to some other place on your computer. Then, if you ever want to replay another pacifist mode, you'd just have to replace/switch the files around. I wasn't bothered by it too much like a lot of people seem to be. Maybe I am evil at heart? xD

That's fine if you don't want to, though.
    Spoiler:
    Oh, it's fine, it's just... Faustian deals CREEP THE FRICK out of me, I don't care about what context they're in. Break the fourth wall, oh, that's fine. Deadpool does it all the time and I've never had a problem with it, despite that it sometimes can be a bit cheesy, which is okay in small quantities. But (Break the fourth wall) + (Faustian deal) = NO FUNKING WAY, HANDS OFF AND GET LOST. And that... essentially leaves your game completely dead in the gutter permanently... unless you start messing with stuff. Sure, if you mess around with enough stuff, you'll reset the game, but all the stuff you've seen, heard, and experienced... yeah, those memories can't be wiped. And this just sounds like the kind of guilt stuff that would EAT at me after a while.

I'll take Sans's word for it. I seriously don't think I'd have a good time with this. There's been a lot of games where I've forfeited the "evil campaign/character" content because the sheer amount of GUILT they make you feel is painful. Some people are like "oh, why didn't they make it so you can kill the children in Fallout 3" and I'm like I never even knew about that because trying it never even crossed my mind. And forget about blowing up Megaton with the nuke. I watched my brother do it and I was like "yeah, I just can't do that." I didn't even like that town and still. It's actually very RARE I do any of the evil stuff and I honestly dislike it when the game forces you to, such as instances where you need to shoot at cops and civilians, attack angels (I didn't enjoy doing this at ALL in Darksiders), and has caused me to avoid playing certain games altogether (Bayonetta for one, even though I heard it's good).

Undertale is a fantastic game and is an "IN YOUR FACE" to anyone that says good games need great graphics. It's full of great characters, has plenty of funny dialogue and goofy humor, I've already gotten 11 hours into it, and I still feel like there's a lot of cool secrets that I probably missed along the way. Even if I don't ever explore its much darker sides, I definitely enjoyed the game and I'm glad I gave it the chance. Easily ten bucks very well spent.

TL:DR - I just can't do evil very well at all.

But that's part of the story! You lose half of the entire plot of Undertale if you don't do it! Heck, you lose most of Sans's character development!

4. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

*tilts head and lets out low laugh* What, Neo? You just don't have it in you? That's a real shame. I was hoping to see your darker side.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

6. This post has been liked by:

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante Janobii View Post
    *tilts head and lets out low laugh* What, Neo? You just don't have it in you? That's a real shame. I was hoping to see your darker side.
    I actually thought it would tear me to shreds a lot more than it did. Honestly, I was much more torn over my pacifist run. xD

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Papyrus View Post

I actually thought it would tear me to shreds a lot more than it did. Honestly, I was much more torn over my pacifist run. xD
    I'm going to have a lot of fun with my genocide run, I know it.
    / / / / / / / /

9. This post has been liked by:

Senior Administrator

Oh... FINE, if you crazy, crazy, crazy people so insist on it. :P

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

LET THE M̵̺̮͙̳͖̭̪̣̘̦̹̕A̸̩͕̱̙͓̦̭͇͍̞͎̹͈͠D̵̶͝͏̥̟̜̣̲͠Ń̵̛̹̻̻̟͠ ̘͓̜͔͍ͅͅͅE̵̝̙͖̻̼̞͙̩̣̱̩̖͜ͅS̛͍̤̥̻̱͘͟ͅŚ҉̛͎͓̻̠̻̳̤́ ̘ COMMENCE.

EDIT: Bleh, found out the hard way that you have to purge everything in the ruins before Toriel invites you into her house. I meant to get the Toy Knife to make the slaughtering process easier, accidentally headed upward after that, and then I found that out.

EDIT 2:

Spoiler:
    So far, I've cleaned out the Ruins and Snowdin. And Toriel and Papyrus are now sleeping with the fishes.

So far, it isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. SO FAR. The fact all the puzzles are deactivated definitely makes it so you plow through it all faster. It's really the walking back and forward to clean out the last remaining enemies that makes it take some time. The creepy music and "But no one came..." is a nice touch.

The battles are definitely significantly easier. You're given HEAPS more of HP and it doesn't take nearly as long to neutralize the enemies. Heck, I haven't had to use one healing item yet. Also, I thought Toriel and Papyrus were going to have a lot of brutal and heart-wrenching dialogue to read. Sure, it's definitely not cheery by a long shot, but it's not as "well, I feel like a total bastard now" kind of wrench to it.

And that actually brings me to my next point...

I thought about it and in a dark and weird way, you could actually justify the elimination of all the monsters. They attack you on sight, seek out to kill you and steal your soul, Toriel attempts to keep you locked up in her home and stuck in the Ruins for life, and Papyrus attempts to bring you to Undyne to be killed and selfishly reap the benefits out of it. Meanwhile, they're all responsible for killing a bunch of humans before you. And heck, the others aren't innocent either.

Interesting food for thought.
    Last edited by Neo Emolga; 05-18-2016 at 09:59 PM.

11. This post has been liked by:

Senior Administrator

Double post, I know, but this had to be done (and I got kind of tired editing the heck out of the last one).

American Undertale players should probably be able to appreciate this:

Spoiler:

13. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Oh well. Yeah that's accurate.
    / / / / / / / /

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Guys, guys, I finished Undertale! I did the true pacifist thing. :D It was pretty awesome. I like how it feels like an old game. And the music is nice too. Question about the end...

Spoiler:
    I got to the end where everyone is waiting to leave the underground. So I went and did a last look through the underground to talk to everyone. Just wondering if there is anything else I should do before actually ending it. Do you have to start again after?
    GCEA