Okay, this might seem like a silly thing but it's really, really upsetting me, because I'm being blamed for something horrible because of a story I wrote in 2012. This has been going on for years but it came up again now, now when I'm trying to enjoy my vacation with my cousins.

Aside from pokemon, one of my fandoms is a rather lighthearted children's TV show from the early 2000s. My stories are generally more intense than the show, but I'd rate them PG at most.

My friend...I'll call her Sally (not her real name) is also in this fandom writing stories. For the past several years, she has been posting the most graphic, detailed violence. Horrible deaths, murder, torture, maiming, manipulation and cruelty. Across these stories, my favorite characters were murdered, had unnecessary surgeries done on them while they were awake, tortured in some truly messed up ways, forced to watch murder...and then her stories moved on to these beloved characters murdering and torturing each other. She's even written fanfiction of one of my stories (to "fix" it) and most of them involved murder (one was about one of my OCs being tortured to death). I had to stop reading them because they were badly affecting me, but I was polite about it and let Sally do her own thing, just without me reading them. So that's not what this rant is about; this is just there to provide some context.

In my own story in this fandom, there is one violent scene, but I feel like it would only be rated PG (seriously, the stuff in Path of Destiny is way more intense than in this story). I also want to note that my entire story was written beginning to end before I even met Sally. Now, this story of mine means a lot to me. It actually changed the way I write stories (and completely changed the direction of Path of Destiny, because it made me realize what sort of stories I wanted to write). It is one of my favorite stories out of everything I've written.

But Sally is blaming that one violent scene I wrote - and me - for her mental health getting a lot worse. She keeps telling me how it's causing her so much anguish and making everything in her life worse because the violence upset her so much. She's having tons of problems that have been going on for almost 5 years. All this because of a story I wrote that she skimmed (not even read) years ago.

I once asked her why she can write much worse violence, but when I write a violent scene, it's wrong. She said it was about 'control,' that my story upset her because she didn't have control over it like in her own stories, and well, fair enough. She doesn't need to read it. But she won't let it go.

Sally's been on my case about this since 2013. I've told her she doesn't need to read the scene, or even the story at all. But that's not good enough.

It doesn't matter that she doesn't read it. The fact that my story exists is the problem. The story I wrote before I even met her. And I'm to blame for her anguish because I dared to write the story.

I don't know what to do. I can't un-write it. I'm not willing to take the story down. Even if I did, it would still exist somewhere and that would be a problem for her. I've tried helping this person over the years but everything I do seems to make it worse. I've sent Sally a version of the story with the violent scene removed (at her request) but that wasn't good enough either.

This is a nightmare. When I wrote this story, it got me through some bad times and brought me a lot of happiness. When I posted it, I wanted it to bring others happiness too. But now I'm being told it's causing someone's mental health to spiral out of control. I don't know what to think. This is horrifying.