Thread: Breaking up

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar

Breaking up

After breaking up with a significant other, is it a good idea to have distance from each other, even if you plan to be friends? I'm afraid it might make it worse, but it doesn't seem to be getting better.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

I honestly think it all depends on the person or how things worked out. I could say yes for one and no for another.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

We're still on good terms. No harsh feelings at all.

My Links

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I think it's important to have distance for a while so that both people have time to process things. Then when both people are ready you can be friends. Otherwise in my experience its hard to change from the relationship to friendship dynamic. It might be harder not to speak to the person for a while than to just continue as things are, but I think most people need that time to actually move on. Especially if a lot of your conversation is online as there might not be a whole lot of difference between friendship and relationship in the way you interact which means you aren't really moving on and makes it hard to truly be friends with both people just kind of hanging on to avoid the breakup feelings/missing that person etc. Just my experience though.
    GCEA

It depends on how you broke up, in my opinion.

I think time is always a good thing. Time is the recipe for healing many broken bonds, as well as space and respect. Sometimes it's even good to establish with the other person how much time you will need. There are some cases where it might take years, and others where you could be friends within months. Whatever the case, the most important thing is to be on good terms, I think. There will be hurt between the two of you, but hopefully time (maybe eventually conversation about it) will help that.

Thanks for the advice. I decided I'd try taking a break from her... hopefully it works out.

My Links

8. This post has been liked by: