Page 479 of 513 FirstFirst ... 379429469477478479480481489 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,790 of 5121
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I'm always wary that if I start with a sequel to a game, I'm going to be completely lost with the storyline.

Although there are a bunch of games where the sequel has absolutely nothing to do with the original and it's only just the gameplay that carried over.

Administrator

Honestly I'm not sure how much I would've liked the series if I didn't start with the 2nd game. It gave me more reason to wa t to play the first and see how it all started. Then I played Uncharted 1 and it. Wasn't as good as the 2nd, but still fun. Just vastly different. I think they weighed too hard on trying to make it use PS3 controller features.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Emolga View Post
    I'm always wary that if I start with a sequel to a game, I'm going to be completely lost with the storyline.

Although there are a bunch of games where the sequel has absolutely nothing to do with the original and it's only just the gameplay that carried over.
    IDK, I don't really mind that. I don't feel completely lost, either way.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Senior Administrator

Yeah, there are a few cases where it applies. For one, Max Payne 2 relies on having at least some idea of what went on in the original. Max Payne 3 however, not so much. Also, when I played Half Life 2, I never played the original Half Life and a lot of what the other characters were talking about went over my head.

Administrator

I think the Half Ljfe 2 happened with a lot of people too. xD just with how it was released or put out there. I don't think that controversy with that game will ever get old either.

The time is upon us...

Senior Administrator

Yeah, a lot of Blizzard games have really deep storylines. The lore behind Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo goes insanely deep. I mean heck, there are whole novels written in those storylines.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I've heard even Overwatch has a bit of plot to it which is impressive.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Administrator

Yeah it does, but they didn't keep it around long outside of lore and character bios. The story arc was a limited time event. Guess that's why they're making Overwatch 2. More story content.

The time is upon us...

Senior Administrator

I hope with Overwatch 2, the missions actually have meaning to them. Something always bothered me about control points where they're fighting to the death over just some random location without anything noteworthy about it. And they even use voicelines like "I'm taking the objective" and "everyone get on the point!" What objective, there's like nothing there! Why does it matter so much?

Give the missions a backstory, actually have the control points resemble something mission-critical that the characters would fight to the death for (would be even better if they have to destroy something, hack a computer, or something like that), and things of that nature. I remember how Unreal Tournament 2004 did it where the characters were trying to steal missiles (or prevent them from getting stolen), destroy an AI generator (or protect it), and things like that. Not "hey, we managed to stand in place at this certain spot in the middle of nowhere for 10 seconds without interruption, WE WIN!" That always bothered me and kept reminding me that it was just a game and rarely felt immersive. Meh. Payload missions made a little more sense, but half of the maps didn't really have explanation to them either. Like what exactly is this thing we're trying to move to the other side of the map?

I feel like they did such great work at designing the characters, their backstories, and all their unique traits, but then when it came to the actual gameplay itself, it was so shallow and basic like these were really just training simulations and not real missions.

Administrator

I guess we'll see more on it soon enough. Just don't know if it'll live up to the first. It's just kinda odd they didn't add it to the first as a large DLC or something.

The time is upon us...