Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I kinda agree about dystopians being all the same after a while. I still think they're really fun though. I just finished the first book in the Fire & Flood series. It was like a cross between Hunger Games and Digimon. xD The characters were super annoying too, but I guess it was a bit of fun.
    GCEA

Ah, another one of my dystopia problems is the main character. They're all the same to me >.<
    I swear, I can describe about 10 novels in this sentence: the main character is always a girl, she will fall in love with a cute/hot guy and she will be/become strong-willed and she will lose/have lost family members.

But anyway, at the moment I'm also reading 13 Reasons Why. Reminds me of a novel I read before called The Tragedy Paper and boy, was that a good novel, but right now I can't say I'm particularly enjoying 13 Reasons Why.

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Nagisa View Post
    Ah, another one of my dystopia problems is the main character. They're all the same to me >.<
    I swear, I can describe about 10 novels in this sentence: the main character is always a girl, she will fall in love with a cute/hot guy and she will be/become strong-willed and she will lose/have lost family members.

But anyway, at the moment I'm also reading 13 Reasons Why. Reminds me of a novel I read before called The Tragedy Paper and boy, was that a good novel, but right now I can't say I'm particularly enjoying 13 Reasons Why.
    Haha, so true. The main character of Fire & Flood is a bit different in that she's completely pathetic and annoying and unlikeable. But that will probably change as she goes through all this stuff.

I've read 13 Reasons Why! It was ages ago so I can't really remember specifics but I liked the whole tape thing and thought it was pretty clever.
    GCEA

I'm Radioactive, Radioactive ImaginiteDragonites's Avatar
    I haven't berm reading much since I finished The Fault In Our Stars. I've been writing a bit though, mostly fantasy novels. Right now it's just a word document but I might choose to post it here. I'm just asking people if they recommend books and picking up a few. Haven't read a series in quite a while, though.

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    So I just finished reading Allegiant, like right this second, and I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BELIEVE IT. *plucks another tissue* I have literally not stopped crying for the last five chapters. xD It's so sad, but good at the same time. I cannot. I don't even. Someone tell me how to feel because I'm a mess right now. D':

6. This post has been liked by:

Conjuring The Infinite by my new god, Kirkland Ciccone, has arrived, so I will be reading that very soon.

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post
    So I just finished reading Allegiant, like right this second, and I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BELIEVE IT. *plucks another tissue* I have literally not stopped crying for the last five chapters. xD It's so sad, but good at the same time. I cannot. I don't even. Someone tell me how to feel because I'm a mess right now. D':

Haha so you liked it?!

I just finished Remnants - Season of Wonder by Lisa Bergren. Dystopian again, but kind of religious this time. Not really religious myself but I found it interesting and the writing was pretty good. Looking forward to the sequel next year!
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Haha so you liked it?!

Yes, I loved it. And while, on some level at least, I loved the ending, I do wish it didn't have to end like that. D:

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post

Yes, I loved it. And while, on some level at least, I loved the ending, I do wish it didn't have to end like that. D:
    Well that's good that you liked it. I will put the next bit in spoilers for those who haven't read it xD

Spoiler:
    I thought the ending was pretty good and I think it ended well with her dying. The main thing I had a problem with was the "genetic damage" thing. It didn't really make much sense to me and I kind of thought the whole idea of their city as an experiment was kind of weird. But that might just be because I am a scientist so I am picky when they mention genetics. xD So I was a bit disappointed the author decided to go with that idea. But oh well. I am looking forward to the second movie!
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Well that's good that you liked it. I will put the next bit in spoilers for those who haven't read it xD

Spoiler:
    I thought the ending was pretty good and I think it ended well with her dying. The main thing I had a problem with was the "genetic damage" thing. It didn't really make much sense to me and I kind of thought the whole idea of their city as an experiment was kind of weird. But that might just be because I am a scientist so I am picky when they mention genetics. xD So I was a bit disappointed the author decided to go with that idea. But oh well. I am looking forward to the second movie!
    Putting mine in spoilers, too. :p

Spoiler:
    I'm not saying it was a bad ending because she died - I thought that was really well done. It's just part of me hates it when main characters die, and I was wanting a super-fun happy ending. xD But an ending like that wouldn't have done justice to the story overall, and I think it's teaching us an important lesson in self-sacrifice.

But yeah, the genetic damage thing was a bit iffy to me, as well. The whole time I was thinking 'whaaaaat?'. Like, all our genes are different to begin with, and it's our choices that matter. A GP could just as easily make the choice to destroy the world as a GD could. I kinda thought that was stupid, but ah well. I really can't wait for the second movie. :9 This series is getting me more pumped than Hunger Games, haha.