Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I know it ends abruptly, but it's 2:15am and this was meant to be shorter. xD Anyway, my take on the whole "omg such a gorgeous pokemon, wow so much beauty wow wow"

Spoiler:
    The most gorgeous pokémon there is. That’s what they call my species.

For generations, humans have bred countless fomantis in search of achieving the most colourful, the most gorgeous, and the most visually appealing lurantis their world has ever seen. But what does that mean for those of us who aren’t a perfect outcome of their selective breeding?

I slammed my curved limb into the faintly shimmering force field before me. Its purpose was to keep me hostage like a criminal, sealed into this prison without a hope for release. Those encaged with me were just as outraged, devastated and utterly terrified at what was to come for us all. We, the rejects; the spoiled outcome of greed, selfishness and wealth which failed to satiate the cravings of those concerned only with profit and glamour.

I was born in this sickly artificial facility like many others who reside here. Those who were imported and not born here were fomantis and lurantis from all over the world; the purebreds came from Alola while colour variants were brought in from other parts. The main difference rested only in the colour’s vibrancy or specific hue. Each fomantis not disposed of at birth due to instantly detectable inadequacy had been assessed; we were sorted into categories based on which parts of our bodies were of the most value.

I was bred to perfect the vibrancy of our wings. Although most lurantis were incapable of flight, the size, precise shape and intense colour of our wings were highly valued amongst buyers. But, of course, our wings were nonexistent in our pre-evolved forms, so each of us was required to evolve before true assessment could be conducted. However, my evolution had brought me nothing but a deaths sentence.

Every other aspect of my body was considered a success except the one thing I was bred for; therefore, I was unprofitable and nothing more than a waste product. I had heard what happens to those who weren’t put on the market for sale: it would draw too much attention to give us all to shelters or release us into the wild. Rangers would surely deem the phenomenon abnormal and launch an investigation. Operations like the one I was bred into were against the humans’ common laws, so it was all highly regulated and kept absolutely secret.

Once more I narrowed my so-called beautiful eyes and slashed at the barrier before me. It sizzled with electricity and then seared through my veins with an intense heat. According to the older lurantis kept for constant tests and bodily alteration, the force fields were composed of material designed to mimic certain effects and powers of other species. Namely, fire types. Each touch was like a flamethrower to our delicate features. None of us were accustomed to combat, and personally I had never felt the sting of poison, the touch of a steel wing or the impact of a hurled boulder. Some of the imports had battled, but lurantis like me who were born into this facility had never faced another pokémon before.

I sneered at the near-invisible energy surrounding our cage once more. Even if I was somehow strong enough to break through it, there was no possible way to escape. Never had I been outside the facility’s walls before, but I knew from experience that this place was much too large to venture through undetected. I heard a story once of a fomantis who had tried to escape before his evolution date was to come. He had been poached from a wildlife sanctuary because of his abnormally large size, which the humans must have assumed they could breed into their main lines. However, his escape was a failure, and he was never seen or heard from again.

“D-Four-Nine, stop hurting yourself.”

I whirled around to look a fellow lurantis in her glistening eyes. My hope fizzled as I released a slow sigh. The humans were so overly concerned with appearance alone that they had seen no worth in this wonderful being.

She was the kindest, most caring pokémon I had ever come across in the facility. She and I had been close friends for most of our miserably short lives. Our evolution dates had only been set a day apart, and we had always defended one another when a particularly bored facility occupant tried to entertain themselves by bullying others. We shared most of our strictly monitored meals of insects, premium plant matter and seeds together. The day I found out that I was being disposed of due to “insufficient product value,” she had vowed to find an owner who would love her enough to follow her back to the facility and rescue me before I was terminated. However, the humans deemed her similarly unprofitable merely the week after tests had been run and comparison work with other lurantis had been completed. She and I were equally as useless, and therefore shared the same fate.

My eyes became soft. “Sorry, D-Three-Seven.” I closed them for a moment, contemplating our fate.

Humans began to file into the white room and line up before our prison. D37 projected a glance of fear my way, and my only thought was of protecting her. My only friend in this cruel, lonely world.

The humans began to converse, which instigated a slow-burning fear in my gut. In my time here, I had picked up some human language. When D37 turned to me, I felt my wings sag and my antennae begin to tremble.

“What...are they saying?” she whispered.

I lowered my head, then met eyes with her. The fear she emanated must have been a reflection of mine.

“We’re next.”

2. This post has been liked by: