Page 151 of 365 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 3646

Thread: Other Chat DCC

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    We don't do Halloween here even though some people keep trying to make it a thing. xD What is Great Adventure Fright Fest? What are you going as @Neo Emolga?
    @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

There was a time when Halloween was almost a completely dead holiday and no one cared in the slightest about it. Then, right about the time the internet kicked into gear, it went BIG. Now it's almost as big of a thing as Christmas. Which is cool. It's a fun, casual, goofy holiday where you can just dress up as whatever, go wild, and have a good time. And zombies.

Great Adventure Fright Fest is, as Sanctus mentioned, a Six Flags doohickey where they have special Halloween events and attractions. We've done stuff like this in the past that involved going through haunted houses and shows, but I've never done Fright Fest before. Looks like fun.

As for me, I'm going as a seraph (a six-winged angel).

Originally I was just going to go as a regular ol' angel (I really like angels), but finding a decent pair of wings was an absolute nightmare that I spent HOURS on. In almost all 99% cases, they were laughably small and I'd end up looking like Cupid if I wore them. I then came across imakewings and just burst into excitement at how big and how real they looked. Problem is... Ł2500 as just a STARTING PRICE is $3839. YIKES. I emailed her anyway just to get an estimate, and never got an answer. Decided not to pursue that for obvious reasons. So I found this inflatable version instead, which was a heck of a lot more affordable and the people I talked to were pretty nice. I got those wings totally in white and they're gorgeous and actually feel perfect in terms of size (I might provide a picture once all the parts of the costume have come together). Since it looks and feels like a bunch of wings together, I just decided hey, go seraph. So they're big, but not too big where I can't even walk inside with them. They're pretty easy to inflate and deflate, fit into an easily-carried bag they provided, and they're a heck of a lot of fun to wear. The only drawback is the fan that inflates them needs to always be on and it is a bit noisy, but it's not a big deal. Outside, I bet it's hard to even hear it.

As for the halo, I came up with the idea to take an Aerobie and spray paint it with gold paint. It looks fantastic. The only problem is mounting it above my head (unfortunately, it doesn't float above there on its own). My first idea of using clear plastic pipes used for computer water coolers glued to one side of the halo and then strapped to the back of my head failed terribly. So I brought a regular angel halo from Spirit of Halloween and figured I'll try to tie wire around it to mount after clipping off the laughably tiny fuzzy one that came with it. I'm hoping this works. My biggest concern is if the weight of the Aerobie is too much for the wires to support. Hopefully it's not. :P

For the robe, I have a cosplay Final Fantasy white mage one that I used for a Renaissance Faire a year ago. It works perfectly with the wings and looks great, so I'm all covered with that. I'm also waiting on an archangel medallion I brought on Etsy to come in just to give it that extra flair, and I'm waiting on a golden-blonde cosplay wig to help hide the halo mount as much as possible. Once I get those and find a way to make the halo work, I'm gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    I dislike spring quite a bit because I have terrible allergies so in the springtime I have pretty much a constant headache. ;-;
    I feel you here, I don't know what I'm allergic too but it's always bad then.

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    I feel you here, I don't know what I'm allergic too but it's always bad then.
    For me, it seems to be early spring and early fall that I start having problems. And then there was one summer where my allergies went on a RAMPAGE all summer. XP

In other news... my mount for the halo didn't work out. The headband that came with the tiny halo I got was too weak and it didn't support the weight of the Aerobie unless I stood completely still. I might find a thicker or stronger headband in a dollar store or something like that. Not giving up yet!

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

That sounds like a really cool costume, @Neo Emolga! You definitely have to post a picture once you get your halo sorted! Halloween definitely seems like a huge deal over there. We've never even had trick or treaters knock at our door. xD Hope you have fun at the event! :D
    @Ellie That's fair enough. I never used to get hayfever or anything but sometimes I feel like I am starting to be affected. :(
    GCEA

Senior Administrator

That sounds like a really cool costume, @Neo Emolga! You definitely have to post a picture once you get your halo sorted! Halloween definitely seems like a huge deal over there. We've never even had trick or treaters knock at our door. xD Hope you have fun at the event! :D
    I'm now down to Plan D! Plan A was using the tubes on the back and taping it to the back of my neck, and that didn't work. Plan B was using the fuzzy halo's wires to try and support the Aerobie. Nope, wires couldn't bear the weight. Plan C was using the headband and wires of the fuzzy halo with the tubes. That didn't work because the headband was too small and weak and caused the whole thing to fall off, but it came close! It didn't fall off if I just stood still. Plan D involves using a bigger, 1-inch wide headband, gluing the support mounting tubes to that, and hoping that works. I just need to wait for that to come in from Amazon. Funny thing is, I could only buy a giant pack of 24 of them. That's 23 headbands I'm going to have really no use for. XD

Anyway, this is what it looks like, since I imagine trying to visualize the situation might be a little tricky:

The part where all three of those clear, plastic tubes meet will be where I glue it to the headband. I tried to go for something that would not be easy to see, but would provide enough support. These tubes seem to do the trick, it's just the headband part that has been tricky. But yeah, using the Aerobie with gold paint really seems to have worked well. Would have been cool if I could figure out a way to make it glow, but... hey, I'm not going to be greedy, this looks pretty good.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

That looks pretty great! I hope you manage to get it sorted with plan D! Maybe you could resell the rest of the headbands? xD

I have actually never heard of an Aerobie before but I'm guessing it must be quite heavy!
    GCEA

Senior Administrator

That looks pretty great! I hope you manage to get it sorted with plan D! Maybe you could resell the rest of the headbands? xD

I have actually never heard of an Aerobie before but I'm guessing it must be quite heavy!
    Ha ha, I don't think I'll be able to resell them, but it's not a biggie. I tried looking in a dollar store, and they had a few, but they weren't clear and they didn't seem all that much stronger. I'm aiming to make the mount and headband as invisible as possible. I even got a blonde anime-style wig to hide it even more (and that seems more angel-like than my regular short, brown hair, so yeah).

Anyway, an Aerobie is just a disc Frisbee-like toy that looks like this:

You can easily buy one for less than $10, and I felt the shape, size, and durability of it would make for a perfect halo. They're pretty lightweight, it's just the tiny headband and the wires I was using weren't made to support it, but this should be able to do the trick once I get the headband. They said the expected delivery date was somewhere between the 16th and the 19th, so I'll still have plenty of time.

Okay, I've gotta get one thing straight...

We're Pokémon Crossroads. Our shortened name is PXR. But. Is it PxR, or PXR? I've seen it both ways and to keep it simple, I write it in all caps...but the x is a cross. It's not a replacement for a word that begins with x. In fact, same with the R. xD But anyway... PXR or PxR?

@Pokemon Trainer Sarah @HKim

Senior Administrator

I always say it as PXR. I can honestly say I haven't seen it like PxR at all, or at least not from my most recent memories.

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Okay, I've gotta get one thing straight...

We're Pokémon Crossroads. Our shortened name is PXR. But. Is it PxR, or PXR? I've seen it both ways and to keep it simple, I write it in all caps...but the x is a cross. It's not a replacement for a word that begins with x. In fact, same with the R. xD But anyway... PXR or PxR?

@Pokemon Trainer Sarah @HKim

lol, it's an acronym. I'm sure it's up to user's choice. I've seen it PCR too.

I usually go with PXR.