Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Yeah, I tried this Pikachu tutorial that DeviantArt is promoting and I can't even say I'm all that crazy about it myself and this is coming from someone who has drawn Pikachu plenty of times. That second overlapping oval that defines the cheeks is probably overkill, Pikachu's cheeks don't protrude out THAT far and don't follow that same shape in most cases. Heck, even the Pokemon Center style Pikachu doesn't have cheek bumps like that at all. Moreover, the "antennae" for the ears is okay as a start to define length, but I normally define the ears completely (want to make sure the width looks good, too) in the sketch before doing the lineart. Same goes for the tail.

Ry Spirit also said Pikachu's body is pear-shaped, which is mostly true, but what he forgot to mention was there's a indent between both of the feet that dips very slightly upward and inward into Pikachu's body. Also, just as a personal preference, the white dots that resemble the light reflecting off of Pikachu's eyes... typically I like to make that a perfect circle (or oval depending on the angle of the post). I only have a very slight cutoff if the Pikachu has an angry glare and their eyelids are down a bit.

So yeah, even if there's a popular or promoted tutorial, it's important to keep these two key things in mind when you come across a tutorial:

1. Do you like the way the end result looks?
    2. Are you able and comfortable following the steps it takes to get to that?

If you can answer yes to both of these questions, go for it and practice again and again with it. But if either of those questions has a no answer, then move along. Personally, I'd have to say "no thanks" on both of these for this one particular tutorial. I definitely think there's better ones out there that I liked more, such as the one Gemma showed you (I thought I had a copy of that saved but I guess not :P).

Administrator

Maybe I'll see if Gemma still has that tutorial. I have one she made, but it's still not easy to follow xD.

Totally understandable yeah. Not all tutorials are easy to follow or do much good.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Maybe I'll see if Gemma still has that tutorial. I have one she made, but it's still not easy to follow xD.

Totally understandable yeah. Not all tutorials are easy to follow or do much good.
    If you still have that tutorial, I can try to follow it and see if I can clarify a few things. Maybe it's one of those things that we can meet up on Discord voice chat and I can explain it out in words (and screen share).

Administrator

Yeah I sent the tutorial to you on Discord. Wasn't sure if that was the one or not, but it seems like it was. xD

See to me there's points where it's more confusing. Heck even the well...."guide" lines to help align the eyes, nose, etc. the length of the ears and of all things, the shape of the cheeks. The tail is a bit tricky as well.

The time is upon us...

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    I'm really excited, because around April I'm going to be getting my first pet centipede. c:

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Yeah I sent the tutorial to you on Discord. Wasn't sure if that was the one or not, but it seems like it was. xD

See to me there's points where it's more confusing. Heck even the well...."guide" lines to help align the eyes, nose, etc. the length of the ears and of all things, the shape of the cheeks. The tail is a bit tricky as well.
    Yeah, no worries, I can take a run through it with you and further explain each step and what's going on. Let me know if this weekend you have a good time spot to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    I'm really excited, because around April I'm going to be getting my first pet centipede. c:
    Wow, haven't heard of anyone keeping one of those as a pet. My sister used to keep various bugs as pets, and one time we thought we had a caterpillar that would become a butterfly, but it ended up being a moth instead. That was kind of funny. xD

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    Oooh sounds fun! I didn't know you could keep centipedes as pets! Are they difficult to keep?
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Yeah, no worries, I can take a run through it with you and further explain each step and what's going on. Let me know if this weekend you have a good time spot to work with.
    Hey I'd be totally down for that! Unless I take that trip to VA I was hoping for (12+ inches of snow....so tempting). But I'd have to use a hotel cause if I went to my Grandparents house on the mountain I'd probably be stuck up there for up to about a week or more.

It's one of those houses on a VA mountain that's in an area you could refer to as "stuck in time." Everything around the area still looks old and outdated, roads are a mess, if not dirt and muddy, lot of open fields of absolute nothing but farmland or ranches. Easy enough to say. Oh and the house doesn't have a real heating system other than the furnace in the really small living room. Which needs fire wood to even burn. So I'd have my work cut out for me if I went there xD.

But yeah since it's most likely not going to happen. I'd be good to do a lesson or so tonight or tomorrow using that guide!

The time is upon us...

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Wow, haven't heard of anyone keeping one of those as a pet. My sister used to keep various bugs as pets, and one time we thought we had a caterpillar that would become a butterfly, but it ended up being a moth instead. That was kind of funny. xD
    Oh awesome, I love moths too so I would definitely be happy with that. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Oooh sounds fun! I didn't know you could keep centipedes as pets! Are they difficult to keep?
    They aren't difficult at all! I've been reading a lot on caring for them.

10. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Ooooh very interesting!
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire