Page 299 of 365 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 2,990 of 3644

Thread: Other Chat DCC

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    No worries at all, I don't wanna debate about anything. xD I was just curious about what your take on those things were. Thanks for answering! I mean over here when someone says they're a republican I feel like they would kinda be seen in a bad light (especially cos of Trump now), but I know some of you guys on the forum are republican and I find it hard to believe that stuff about you guys, you know?

I think plenty of people are against, say, same sex marriage for religious reasons and I totally understand why that is, since you're taught from a young age that it's wrong! I personally think people should be free to do things if they're not hurting others, no matter what I believe. Like my religious beliefs shouldn't govern someone else's life. And you basically said the same thing when you said you'd attend a friend's same sex marriage even if you have moral issues with it. But then that is still kinda supporting same sex marriage in my mind. xD So I figure we're not that different on that topic, even if you feel like you're against it and I feel like I'm for it, it's like the same outcome int he end? haha.

But yeah, obviously it's a lot more complex than I thought. xD I still think you'd be a great president :)
    They're seen in an awful light over here too so it's not just an Australia thing and the way politics has been going in the past few years I'm not surprised. You just have to realize that those are stereotypes and not everything the media says is true. It's often highly exaggerated.

Yeah exactly! You get it. See the problem with politics nowadays is people aren't willing to set aside their beliefs, even just a little bit to make compromises. For example, I personally am not a huge fan of welfare. I can see some pluses to it but overall everything I've heard about it and the horror stories I could tell you can make you understand why I'm not the biggest fan of it. Now, I'm not saying we entirely get rid of it because it does help people, but if we just re-instituted that two year limit that was in place during the Clinton administration I think a lot of issues with it could be solved! Stuff like that. But since people aren't willing to compromise nowadays that isn't going to happen. It's where the politician's paradox comes in. The actual definition of a good politician is someone who is willing to compromise for the greater good for both sides, but in the public's eye those are bad politicians because they're not strong enough to stand by what they believe in, so people that are too stubborn to compromise are put into office and now nothing gets done.

I appreciate the compliment but I could never be president. And it's not for the reasons you'd probably think. Let's just say, if you want change to come to America, I'm probably better off being a senator or representative.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken Homura's Avatar
    Ya I think the major problem with parties nowadays is that both parties are just being pushed to different extremes without a proper voice for a middle ground in current US politics.

Current politics have hugely complex issues that are distilled to sound bites with simple and obviously ineffective solutions. Couple this with blatant corruption at the state and federal levels and you get a destructive combination.

One thing that I absolutely despise about current politics as well is the blatant use of religion in the construction of laws and policies. Both parties often cite the Bible as part of their rationale for passing a bill. That is literally against the constitution, and the 1st amendment. It is one of the reasons why certain aspects of both parties are at odds with each other, such as having an anti-abortion stance in addition to a small government stance (anti-abortion necessitates a larger government as government is defined in general as regulations and restrictions) or having a platform that is anti-money-in-politics while simultaneously taking money from large donors. This is why if you ask me which party I'd align with, I don't have one in the US.

Btw, the anti-abortion stance is unethical because it violates personal autonomy, which is a pillar of the AMA, and fortunately one cannot pick and choose when it comes to autonomy.

Another issue with regards to politics (and actually in policy making in general) is that many policy makers suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect. Trump demonstrated this...unfortunately very often, with the most recent being the AHCA where he admits that healthcare is a complex issue, while earlier in the campaign he specifically stated he had a plan ready and it would be easy to implement. It goes back to the first point I made, problems are simplified into sound bites and solutions made without realizing the ramifications of such solutions.

Then again I'm very much passionate about issues in healthcare because I work in that sector, and both the ACA and AHCA negatively impact hospital systems that help the poor and uninsured.
    What is happiness?
    It's being called by someone
    It's being able to call someone
    It's when someone is thinking of you
    But Heaven has none of this
    A lizard girl took pity on God
    So the lizard girl tore God in two and brought a half from Heaven to Earth

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yes I completely understand and agree. The root of the problem is the people who are getting elected. Because senate and representatives don't have term limits in the national congress, they can get elected as many times as they want. South Carolina is notorious for having the first centurion senator, Strom Thurmond, and as cool as that is, he's the perfect example of a senator that does nothing and a staff that does everything to make it look like he's doing everything. Since it's nearly impossible to win against incumbents nowadays when comparing resources and finances, new people with new ideas aren't getting filtered in like they should be. They're trickling in, but not at huge rates and they can be just as easily voted out as they were voted in if they aren't deemed effective by their constituents.
    / / / / / / / /

Pretty much. The entire US political system needs an overhaul, and unfortunately for you guys the person most likely to make that first step lost in the primaries due to said corruption.
    What is happiness?

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Homura View Post
    Pretty much. The entire US political system needs an overhaul, and unfortunately for you guys the person most likely to make that first step lost in the primaries due to said corruption.
    Problem is the only way you really get an overhaul accomplished is revolution. It's not something that would be decided and agreed upon through the already existing system.

And the other thing is there is no perfect system. The goals of humans differ from one human to the next. You can really only target the deserving greater good. Those that contribute toward the survival, progress, and happiness of humanity however they can. To get the best system, you need communication, transparency, honesty, and integrity with a code of respect and honor. We've been denied all that for the longest time in what started as a vicious circle and turned into a downward spiral.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

This is why mandatory voting is good. Because politicians have to appeal to everyone aka the average person without any extreme beliefs and not just mobilise minorities to win elections.
    GCEA

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Homura View Post
    Ehhh yeah not gonna happen. The US governmental system is built to prevent that kind of overhaul. Three branches remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    This is why mandatory voting is good. Because politicians have to appeal to everyone aka the average person without any extreme beliefs and not just mobilise minorities to win elections.
    Wouldn't work. Even with mandatory voting candidates are only going to appeal to places like California and Ohio because of the electoral college.
    / / / / / / / /

Oh ya, I know how hard it is. :3
    What is happiness?

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

In other news, SOMEONE DREW ME AS A MIMIKYU FOR MY BIRTHDAY AND I JUST AHHHHHHH.

Now if only I could figure out how to do transparent backgrounds on this website because every time I upload it it just has white space. Ah well, the background looks cute with it either way!
    / / / / / / / /

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    In other news, SOMEONE DREW ME AS A MIMIKYU FOR MY BIRTHDAY AND I JUST AHHHHHHH.

Now if only I could figure out how to do transparent backgrounds on this website because every time I upload it it just has white space. Ah well, the background looks cute with it either way!
    Thats pretty awesome! Is that the official Noble Pokemon?

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......