Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

a (pretty bad) Garchomp Picture

A friend showed me a picture someone made for them of a bulbasaur that was really good so i decided to try out drawing a pokemon. Didnt come out very good but i spent two and a half hours working on it so i will post it anyway. basicly i just copied the sprite, repositioned it slightly, then went over it.

Came out a bit smaller than i thought 400X400 pixels would be. would have gone to 600X600 if i knew this was the size it would turn out as.

The Original Sprite:

445.png

EDIT: i just thought i should clarify that the image is heavily based on the sprite, it is not from scratch, i mostly did outlining and shading, ive never done this before, next time i will try from scratch.

This is a really good way to learn how to do good poses for sprites, but next time you do this, if you're using a program with layers, do it on a new layer so you can erase the sprite layer after you've gone over it, so that there's no sprite still left there. I see what you were trying to do, but we shouldn't be able to see the sprite behind it if you were using it as a reference. :]

Good idea, and I'd like to see more if you wanna draw more! Just remember, ALWAYS do it on a new layer. If you don't know what layers are, I'm sure google will tell you, but it's pretty self-explanatory.

~SF.

Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

yeah, i meant to cover up the sprite completely but i just couldent. i forgot about layers untill i was half way done so i just decided to keep going. next time the sprite wont be showing at all.

Yep, that's why you go with new layers. ^^ It makes it a lot easier, trust me. Hehe. Ahh, that's fair enough! I'd love to see a new one! 8D Even if it's just a sketch that doesn't take you 2 and a half hours, haha. Trust me, I understand time frustration. Recently I'd been working on a non-pokemon pixel over that had taken me hours so far (like 4 or 5, possibly more) and...I accidentally overwrote it with other dumb sprites. -_- So I had to start again. So de-motivational. XD

~SF.

It was a good idea blowing it up. Sometimes I have find going over the pokemon shape over and over really helps me figure out how to draw a pokemon in a couple of different positions.

GCEA: Deoxys Egg 017E
    (ONLY FOR GCEA Not For PXR Egg Hunt)
    Last edited by Rival Max; 04-05-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

That was a really good idea for practice. Now I kinda wanna try! Garchomp looks great too, you should do more! :)
    GCEA