View Poll Results: Would this work?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think this idea would be successful.

14 87.50%
  • No, I do not think this idea would be successful.

0 0%
  • I am unsure.

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

'Spriting School': Good or Bad Idea?

I'm just posting this here as being open for discussion.

I've really been thinking about conjuring a "spriting school" or "pixel academy" program. I know, I know; I can't get enough of pixels. I just can't! After making that "encyclopedia" thread, I thought it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to think about following up on that.

But nonetheless, I've really been contemplating it. However, before I come up with a system I'd like to see what you guys think about the concept itself and/or mechanics relating to the concept.
    This could also possibly branch out to other art forms as well. And since we all are aware that I cannot stick to one place for a very prolonged time period, I would make the system so that it would be clear, and if need-be then someone else could take over if they wanted to.

However, my main concern is that our pixel art community is just not developed enough yet. Therefore, this could turn out to be a fair success and attract a decent number of people, or just totally bomb.

If I were to make this, it could go one of many ways; I was thinking more of a system in which it works like an actual school: you start out as a certain rank / grade level (freshman, for example), and have certain prerequisites that you need to take in order to get to the next rank. Upon gaining this next rank, you would obtain access to more course types and the like. Additionally, there could be extra "filler" courses for each rank.

The type of system I'm thinking of also doesn't really revolve around recoloring, editing, different types of edits and the like. I was thinking more along the lines of starting anew: starting with something such as color theory and working up from there to more advanced pixel art techniques.

I'm sorry if this post isn't clear in certain spots. I had a really long day. Nonetheless, I would like to see what everyone thinks about it, good or bad. :>
    Last edited by SassySnivy; 03-04-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

2. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I think it sounds like a good idea! I know @BisharpBlade had mentioned a sprite school. Maybe you guys could work together!
    GCEA

Thank you. Ah! I forgot to mention...if you are already relatively experienced, you wouldn't be forced to start from the beginning if you don't want to. Instead, the user could take an entrance exam of sorts.

I'm just having some troubles coming up with how classes would work. I'd like for them all to be public and in the forums, so users can learn from other users strengths and weaknesses. I think the reason the pe2k one died after a while was because it was a private mentor program. By outside users not being able to see any progress and/or organization going on, outsider may not have been drawn in. I was wanting to make a thread for each lesson, but sadly that requires many threads cluttering the pixel art sub forum. I would just think it would be best for users to learn at their own pace and observe a sense of organization and harmony, not clutter. Each thread would revolve around one concept, and everyone would be instructed to create something different based on their skill and experience level. I think I could make an entrance quiz mandatory, perhaps: though all it would consist of is for the user to tell and show how much experience they have or haven't. That way, each lesson can tailor more to individual users, reflected by the different assignments given.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I kind of like the idea of having a different thread for each lesson, actually. People could move through the threads (lessons) at their own pace (or pick and choose) and then post their results in there as well. And maybe the teachers/mentors could then post individual feedback/answer questions in the thread and also decide when a user "passed" that thread (lesson) by posting a high enough quality artwork. (They could receive a profile token or something?) That way everyone can see the results and it could be a public thing. Don't worry about the clutter if that's the best way to run it. We can always sort something out with the board organisation if it takes off. :)
    @Speed-X
    GCEA

6. This post has been liked by:

Yes, that was the intention; learning at your own pace! People will likely be able to pick and choose, but as I may have stated before: some classes require prerequisites; mainly the extra, filler classes. The "core" courses will be categorized by rank and will be required to advance to the next rank at all. Any filler class would be able to be taken at any rank so long as prerequisites are met.

I thought about this a little more a little while ago: I mentioned that the challenges would tailor to individuals. I think just for the sake of consistency, each lesson will have one or two default challenges; that way, the mentor can see where to head from there. I was definitely hoping to get more mentors--at least two others, perhaps--but only the head mentor(s) can approve of a student passing a course. I think that way perhaps things can be more consistent. But otherwise, everything you mentioned hit the proverbial nail right on the head!

I never thought of using a profile token. That would actually be pretty neat.

Yeah, and you have a point: clutter probably shouldn't be worried about at the beginning. In actuality I'm thinking about only having the first rank's lesson plan finished before starting to see if it hits off...I'm just a little concerned that if it does, if I'll be able to finish the future lesson plans. At least, hypothetically speaking.

Also, I really appreciate your feedback and helping with the brainstorming, Sarah. :3c Thank you very much!

Spoiler:
    Rank 1
    -------------
    Core Courses:
    -Color Theory I (Overview, basic Hue shifting, choosing colors)
    -Shading I (Basic forms)
    -Line art I
    -Perspective I
    -General Anatomy I

Filler Courses:
    -Isometric I
    -Objects I
    -
    -

--------------------------

Rank 2
    -------------
    Core Courses:
    -Shading II (Intermediate forms, different light sources)
    -Pixel Overs and Traces
    -Perspective I
    -Dithering
    -Common Problems

Filler Courses:
    -Animation I
    -Pokemon Style I (Gameboy)
    -Objects II
    -

Rank 3
    -------------
    Core Courses:
    -Shading III
    -Blocking
    -Color Theory II (conservation, advanced hue-shifting)
    -Anti-Aliasing
    -Texturing I

Filler Courses:
    -Tiles I
    -RPG Characters I
    -Pokemon Style II (Gameboy Color)
    -Scenery I

Rank 4
    -------------
    Core Courses:
    -
    -
    -
    -

Filler Courses:
    -Portraits
    -
    -
    -

-------------------------------------------------------

Graduate Classes

Rank 1
    Last edited by SassySnivy; 03-04-2014 at 04:08 AM.

------------

I don't know what's supposed to go here. Pokeman's Avatar
    I would actually be willing to participate in this, because although I have pretty good skills at pokemon spriting, I would love to become even better! Which is why I voted for yes.

Thank you! I suppose I'll use this thread to post the results of my brainstorming; if anyone wants to contribute ideas, please don't hesitate! Plus, I'd like to keep a post flow because it would be great if plenty of people could see this. I've figured out and straightened up the curriculum for Freshman / Rank 1 Students; take a look, if you will!
    Spoiler:
    Rank 1 (Freshman)
    Main Classes
    Color Theory I: Color terminology, introduction to hue-shifting, choosing colors)
    Prerequisites: None
    Line Art I: Creating smooth and effective line art
    Prerequisites: None
    Shading I: Shading basic forms; basic shadow and light source properties
    Prerequisites: Color Theory I
    Perspective I: Overview of basic perspectives
    Prerequisites: Shading I, Line Art I
    Anti-Aliasing: Explanation of anti-aliasing
    Prerequisites: Shading I, Line Art I
    Pixel Art Taboos: Things to avoid in pixel art
    Prerequisites: Shading I, Line Art I, Anti-Aliasing
    Filler Clases
    Isometric I: More in-depth about isometric perspective
    Prerequisites: Perspective I
    Objects I: More in-depth about pixelling basic objects
    Prerequisites: Pixel Art Taboos, Perspective I
    [B]Overworld[/B: Basics about the "overworld" POV in spriting
    Prerequisites: Shading I, Perspective I
    Pokemon Sprites I: Red, Blue, and Green Style
    Prerequisites: Perspective I, Pixel Art Taboos

I apologize for all the quotes. Just me lazily organizing things so it's a little bit more visibly discerneable...I believe.

Entrance Quiz (prior to change, open to suggestions)
    Spoiler:
    Academy Entrance Quiz
    This is just a small, short-and-sweet quiz you must submit to become a student in the academy. Don't worry, we aren't testing you on your skills and aptitudes; we just want to see where you are as of now in knowledge and experience so that we can tailor to your own, individual learning curve.

Please note that in order to effectively learn here, you will need to "forget" some of the things you've learned already. Clear your mind.

1.) What is pixel art? You don't have to go into a long-winded explanation, unless you would like to. Put this in your own words, or try to.

2.) Do you have any prior experience in spriting / pixel art?

3.) If so, for how long have you been into this form of art? If you aren't sure, a simple "guesstimate" will do just fine.

4.) Post five of your most recent sprites, good or bad. If you don't have any, skip this question. If you honestly have less than three made ever, that is acceptable.

5.) Post three to five of what you feel are your best works. There is no time frame in which these had to have been made. You can have some from your five most recent. If you don't have any, skip this question. If you have less than three, that is acceptable.

6.) Post three to five of what you feel are your worst works. This must be relatively recent--within the past year. You can have some from your five most recent. If you don't have any, skip this question. If you have less than three, that is acceptable.

I just need to write up the actual lesson plans for the first rank. And the introductory thread....

...I need a life.
    Last edited by SassySnivy; 03-04-2014 at 04:02 PM.

------------

I think this is a great idea! I hope you guys can get this up and running!

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

I don't know what's supposed to go here. Pokeman's Avatar
    Dredd, you ARE an admin, so couldn't you just put this up and give it permission? Or do you need to talk it over with the other Admins?

I would honestly need to put more thought and planning into it before it would be ready to submit as a completed idea. That being said, that's why I'm keeping the flow in this thread going: any outside ideas / suggestions, discussion, suggestions on how to make it appeal to the community, etc. are much appreciated. Just overall discussion. I'm still working on the outline for the main and filler classes for Ranks 3 and 4. That being said, I need to write out the "curriculum" / lesson for each course. I need to make it so that if I were to suddenly go all AWAL on you guys or something, I could have someone who could successfully take my place. Of course, the latter is a lot to ask for, so that will likely be a later focus.

------------