Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Monthly Contests: December] Christmas

Hello, and welcome the Pokemon Crossroads' first Monthly Contest, the Christmas contest
    This contest will introduce the regular monthly contests which will be hosted on the art sub forum from now on. If you wish to read about the general idea of the contests, go here.
    This contest will revolve around the central theme for this month. Christmas. It will incorporate ideas such as presents, Santa, Pokemon, any concept from any Christmas stories or anything else which is definitively related to Christmas which will not need an explanation as to how it relates.
    You may submit any art here as long as it fits with the criteria, which will be mentioned later in this post.
    -----------------------
    This contest will be split into four sections, those are:

- Traditional Art
    - Digital Art
    - Spriting
    - Editing

Any more sections may be added if the demand is high.
    So, become inspired, get creative and create great pieces of work here and you might just win yourself something.
    -----------------------
    The prizes are as follows:
    1st Place: 5 PXR Points
    2nd Place: 4 PXR Points
    3rd Place: 3 PXR Points

These points can then be used in the points shop. This is still in discussion at the moment due to the prizes and how it will work, so I am afraid that you will not be able to use them straight away, but will have to wait until the shop is implemented, but no mater, you will need to save up to exchange anything with your points anyway. Think of it like an arcade and tickets. You have to collect tickets to get the best prizes. It will be like that for this.
    -----------------------
    Rules:
    With every event in this forum, there must be rules to keep it constructive and keep the friendly atmosphere. The rules will not be harsh, but if any are broken, depending on the circumstances, you could face disqualification from the contest or a temporary/permanent ban from the contests in the future depending on severity.

1. All PXR Forum Rules apply
    2. Do not, under any circumstances, steal work and present it as your own.
    3. No art collaborations. The work should solely be your own so there is no plagiarism on any side.
    4. If any stocks or any other references are used which have a large presence in your work, you must follow their copyright rules along with giving credit and explaining what their work was and how you used it. (This is more for edits as it can sometimes be inevitable to use stocks or brushes etc.)
    5. No Disrespectful comments on people's work. Criticism is welcome, but only of the constructive kind.
    6. Please use the forms for the respective sections. It makes it easier to organise and sort through in the judging stage
    7. Have fun and include Ho, Ho, Ho somewhere in your submission post to prove you have read the rules and understood them.

-----------------------
    Judges
    @Corrupt_Voidlich @Braixen

The Judges will judge each submission. They will be judging on this criteria.
    Fitting to Theme: /10
    Look: /10
    Skill and Effort: Skill- /5 Effort- /5
    Experimentation/Risk: /10
    Total: /40

Fitting to Theme: Each month there will be a new theme and you will be judged on how well your work fits with the theme. The closer it fits, the higher the score.
    Look: How the work looks overall. If the judge likes the work and think it looks nice, you will do well
    Skill and Effort: Through your work, we will be able to see how much effort you have put in and how much time you have spent on it. We will also be able to see the skills you have used. If it is obvious that you have worked hard on it, you will score high in this.
    Experimentation: This is about whether your piece of work is quite unique. If your work represents an idea that is commonly used, you will nt score high. Try to use your immagination and think outside the box.
    -----------------------
    Categories
    Traditional Art
    This includes anything traditional, sketching, colouring, painting etc. Use any medium to do your work and it can be of any size. Either scan in or take a photo of your work. If you edit it digitally in any way it does not qualify for this category.
    Submission Form
    Traditional Art
    Name:
    Medium Used:
    Link to Submission:
    Submission:
    Extra Details:

Digital Art
    This is for any art drawn or edited on a computer. They can be done in programs such as SAI, Photoshop, Illustrator etc. These can be any size, but must be in .PNG or .JPEG format. Any traditional sketches scanned in and digitally coloured qualify for this.

Submission Form
    Digital Art
    Name:
    Link to Submission:
    Submission:
    Extra Details:

Spriting
    This is for any spiting that you may wish to do. Anything to do with pokemon sprites or any other pixel art fits into here. Animated sprites may also fit in here.
    Submission Form
    Spriting
    Name:
    Link to Submission:
    Submission:
    Extra Details:

Editing
    This cncers any editing of images, such as banners, avatars etc. This can use any program such as Photoshop or GIMP etc. Feel free to go all out and get imaginative, however, it still needs to be connected to some type of editing. Submission Form
    Editing
    Name:
    Link to Submission:
    Submission:
    Crediting Info (If Applicable):
    Extra Details:
    -----------------------
    Deadlines

Submission Period
    7th December - 19th December

Judging Period
    19th December - 26th December

Results
    27th December

Feel free to check out my Instagram for design and art stuffs

2. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Digital Art
    Name: Sarah
    Link to Submission: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...tile-xmas3.png
    Submission:

Extra Details: SCEPTILE IS COOL. I am pretty proud of this because I got the hang of the pen tool for outlining. :D
    GCEA

4. This post has been liked by:

Didn't notice this until today. So I threw this together !

Digital Art
    Name: Shadow Tracker
    Link to Submission: http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps53ebe3b5.png
    Submission:

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

6. This post has been liked by:

URPG Staff

My heart is in several places and all of them are fictional. u^u
    Digital Art

Name: Velocity.
    Link to Submission: Ugly sweater festival.
    Submission:
    Spoiler:

Extra Details: I promise this was once just going to be me drawing my OCs in ugly sweaters. I promise that I did not intend for this big monster to be born. These two are Addy and Paul and they have nothing to do with Pokemon, oops! Paul is not technically human and is self conscious about his wings, and he made Addy delete the photo before she actually got around to posting it in earnest. They probably won the contest at their ugly sweater party.

Button by K'sariya!

URPG Stats!

Paired with noob dummy crazy kid rad friend Nar.

8. This post has been liked by:

Every Villian Is Lemons Evildraws's Avatar
    Well it's still the 18th where I live, so hopefully I'm on time with my entry?

Digital Art
    Name: Evildraws
    Link to Submission: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ws-d8acm0c.png
    Submission:
    Spoiler:

Extra Details: I had to work on this over a few days and got it done in the nick of time! (At least I hope I'm on time...I dunno how/if time zones affect things like this OuO;; ) But I love drawing Christmas/Winter scenes and I think it fits the criteria enough?
    Anywho, Ho Ho Ho! Good luck to everyone~

If I didn't make it in time, then ah well, next contest for sure!

10. This post has been liked by:

Sorry the results have been slow at posting. Been quite busy at college and I have a lot going on at the moment so I've been rather stressed so have been taking things quite slow here.
    So, without further ado, here are the results, and everyone did extremely well, all entries were winning material.
    @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:
    Coru
    Pokemon Trainer Sarah
    Fitting to Theme: 8/10
    Look: 8/10
    Skill and Effort: Skill- 4/5 Effort- 4/5
    Experimentation/Risk: 7/10
    Total: 31/40
    This is great, I like it (and not just because Sceptile is one of my favourite pokemon) Good for you for getting used to the line tool, it took me a while as well and it can be complicated, It’s always nice to know that an artist has learned something new. I like the shading technique too, fits with the art style well and I like how it I not blended together, you can see the shades better and it stands out more. The one thing I would say could be improved is the tinsel on the tail. I feel it blends in with the background a little too much and as it looks one colour, it looks pretty flat. Maybe try to make it a tad darker and add some shading to make it stand out a bit more. Good work, Well Done.

Braixen

Name: Sarah
    Fitting to Theme: 10/10
    Skill and Effort: Skill- 3/5 Effort- 5/5
    Experimentation/Risk: 8/10
    Total: 34/40

Sarah’s image represents the theme extremely well! She approached the contest in a creative and heart warming way. I’d be happy to pet her this adorable Sceptile if I could! I wanted to commend her for her lines as well, they look fairly sharp. If I could give some feedback then I’d suggest trying to blend highlights and shadows around their edges, as well as double the thickness of the lines. Regardless the style she used is consistent and these are not necessary changes but things to try out and decide for herself. As always I adore Sarah’s artistic abilities and talent.

Overall total: 65/80

@Shadow Tracker Max

Spoiler:
    Coru
    Shadow Tracker Max
    Look: 7/10
    Skill and Effort: Skill- 4/5 Effort- 3/5
    Total: 29/40
    A really festive entry here, bringing all of the colours of Christmas in with a nice festive feel. It feels quite nostalgic as you have used the traditional tools such as the spray can (I think) and it is quite simple in nature, however, you have used all of these tools to the full and used them very well to create a piece of art that works. Let’s not forget the Joltik. The style you have used makes it look very cute, however, I have to agree with Braixen, the lines could do with a little touching up to make it stand out a little more. Overall, good work. Nice to see a different approach. Well Done.

Braixen

Name: Shadow Tracker
    Skill and Effort: Skill- 3/5 Effort- 5/5
    Total: 32/40

This image is certainly festive and brought a smile to my face. As always my dear friend does a fantastic job of putting personality in his images and creating something unique. I appreciate all of the extra festive garnish like pine needles, a candy cane, christmas decorations and lights. he also made use of different textures and brushes in the most appropriate ways - fantastic job on that! My personal advice is to keep an eye on your lines and get them as straight as possible. That is something that comes with extra time and patience and I personally find that difficult myself so I may be a hypocrite for this advice haha. Your style is consistent in this image though, and I admire it. Great job, darling! :)

Overall Total: 61/80

@Velocity

Spoiler:
    Coru
    Velocity
    Fitting to Theme: 7/10
    Total: 30/40
    Oh wow. I wasn’t expecting a comic strip, haha. A nice little change and you have made it fit within the theme too, which could have been hard when first starting out. It also has a slight comedy to it so it isn’t just so art in a comic that doesn’t have any impact. Your creativity really shines through here and it shows that you are a great comic maker, being able to create a story and the art for it. The art style is consistent and it is well done, however, there isn’t a mention of pokemon. It isn’t much of an issue, as in the thread it does not specifically state it must be pokemon related, however, it was intended to be a pokemon based contest. Well Done, great job here.

Braixen
    Name: Velocity
    Fitting to Theme: 5/10
    Total: 29/40

A great comic with some unique OCs! I commend you for your creative talents and the style is beautiful. I really admire the finished product and think it’s very festive - but you forgot one thing… the Pokemon! But, I think you knew that :P. I had to dock quite a few points based on that, and although I think a big effort was made you didn’t make an effort to put Pokemon in it so that is why I removed one point there, as well as half the theme points. Great job, regardless and I’m glad you submitted despite not featuring any Pokemon. Maybe this is a good reason to host non Pokemon related art contests occasionally in the future.

Overall Total: 59/80

@Evildraws
    Spoiler:
    Coru
    Evildraws
    Total: 31/40
    Hello Evil, and welcome to PXR. Nice to see that you have entered our contest so quickly since you joined us. It’s nice to have new enthusiastic artists join us. You have a nice art style and you have managed to capture many different textures in this piece. I especially like the snow. It looks so delicate and it looks like a great deal of precision and effort was put into making sure all of it was done right. The Pichu and Pikachu designs are also quite adorable. I reminds me of what little children are like on Christmas, so it is a nice relatable piece. Good job. Well Done. Hope to see you join in for more contests in the future.

Braixen
    Name: Evildraws
    Skill and Effort: Skill- 4/5 Effort- 5/5
    Total: 34/40

Aww, Evil :) One of my favourite newcomers! I am so happy that you decided to create a submission. This submission does a fantastic job of telling a Christmas story, and I commend you for that. Awesome job on the textures of different background aspects - such as the snow, sky and treelike. I really enjoy the overall effect and think the characters stand out well amongst it all. This image is full of personality and cuteness, fantastic job.

Overall Total: 65/80

Rankings
    Spoiler:
    At 4th place with 59 points, it is Velocity! [You get 2 PXR Points]

At 3rd, with 61 points, it is Shadow Tracker Max! [You get 3 PXR Points]

And at joint first, with 65 points each, It is Pokemon Trainer Sarah and Evildraws! [You both get 5 PXR Points]

When the future of the contests are sorted, we will let you know what you can do with these points.
    These contest will get a bit of a redesign. There will be no January or February contest and in March, the contest will reboot with a different design and it will be very different. It will not work like a normal contest. When it has been completely sorted, I may decide to let you all know so we can get feedback and ideas from you, so make sure to lookout for things like that.
    Thank You for participating in PXR's Christmas contest and I hope you have had fun.

Feel free to check out my Instagram for design and art stuffs

URPG Staff

My heart is in several places and all of them are fictional. u^u
    Well, congrats to everyone, the contest was awesome fun. :D But @Corrupt_Voidlich - if you wanted Pokemon, you might should've specified, or at the very least remember to clarify it next time. Kind of a weird move to gank points for a requirement that was never made explicit, yanno?

Button by K'sariya!

URPG Stats!

Paired with noob dummy crazy kid rad friend Nar.

Congrats everyone. Im glad I could join in this. I hope to see more of these and to see more amazing art submitted to them!

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

Every Villian Is Lemons Evildraws's Avatar
    Eeps! First place?? Holy cow *()*

Congratulations to everyone who entered! <3 It was really cool to see everyone's entries / different art styles :D Hope to see you all again at the next contest >w<

15. This post has been liked by:

Well done, all! :D SO PROUD TO SEE. ;~; Seriously though, all the entries were awesome. :D

@Velocity it sucks that you got points off for non-pokemon since it wasn't specified. =/ But you did really well anyway! ^-^