Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are we becoming more lonely in today's world?

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main." - John Donne

In our modern society, technology and social media have been integral in our daily lives. The world seems closer, and more accessible - all through a screen. However, are we humans really brought closer, or are we instead growing more lonely instead? What do you think is the cause of such loneliness, if it's increasing or not? Has social media affected us as social creature in one way or another?

In a way I think we have because there's not a need to go out anymore. What's the point of going out when you have texting and things like Skype? With Skype you see the person and to most people that's good enough.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

We live in a time where never has the human race been so connected. For the first time since the aliens helped build the pyramids.. (jokes of course) Human now have access to a shared knowledge. The more we become connected the less traditional relationships we form. Can we define online friends and relationships as true connections? Or in some ways will they always be slightly more impersonal than interpersonal.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

I would argue the opposite. Technology allows us to interact with exponentially more people than we would without. On this forum, for example, there would be little chance that I would ever meet any of you without the forum, much less technology. I also consider some of the people on the forum to be more than friends, but best friends instead. A handful of people I met on this forum are honestly better than many of the friends I've made irl - I talk to some of them every day, sometimes for hours.

I don't believe technology makes us more lonely, but I would argue that it makes us less inclined to go outside, I suppose. But I have never felt lonely, not even once, through all the years I've been communicating via technology. I agree with Joe when he says the we're making less "traditional" connections, and I don't see that as a bad thing at all, rather the opposite!

|||||||||

5. This post has been liked by:

It's easy to feel lonely as a result of social media/the internet, and also to feel connected. I think social media plays a huge role in this. Social media sites like twitter, facebook, etc have found a way to make our lives look perfect. We all know a negative nancy who uses Facebook as an outlet, but majority of people will post when their happy with their significant other, post images of awesome meals, outings with friends, etc. Even if they post random images of their normal lives the pictures are usually happy. We then compares ourselves with this - it's specially daunting when we are having an off day. In this way we can feel lonely. I think the internet brings us together though, I have met a lot of fantastic people on this forum and others, and part of these relationships have really helped me feel less lonely in times of needs. When I went from a busy city life surrounded by friends to a quiet place where my friends didn't live I really relied on my online relationships and friends to feel less lonesome.

I think there has always been and will always be a level of loneliness in the world. Some people feel alone even when surrounded by others (I have felt this) and some people feel alone because they feel they have no one (and they very well may not have people in their personal lives), but I wouldn't say it's increasing or decreasing exactly, just changing shape. People are also relatively afraid of approaching one another now, that's why even a hook up app like tinder can take off! I think in the "old days" before my time people jumped on the chance to meet people because interactions in person were the only way to go. That's just a theory though :)

Nice thread~

Check out my Artshop/Gallery! Formally known as Absol
    Paired with Shadow Tracker Max

I think personality has a far greater influence on someone's propensity to feel loneliness than technology ever will.

| | |

How high can Tenacity get on the official Showdown Server's ladders?
    Spoiler:
    Format | Core Pokemon | Highest Rating | Highest Ranking | W/L

OU || 1677 | 497th/500 | 50/27
    Random | ? | 1605 | Unranked | 42/13

I'm agreeing with Corey and Braixen. I don't think it's making us more lonely, per se, but making us feel less inclined to go outside.

To ask if it's making humanity lonely as a whole is a bit of a hasty generalization. As Tenacity said, our personality and how we view the world makes a big difference on if we feel lonely or not.

Everyone also defines "lonely" in their own way, further supporting the notion that this is something that occurs more on a case-by-case basis.

But I totally agree that for quite a few of us, it makes us feel less motivated to go OUT and go DO things.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I kind of feel like yes, the world has become more lonely. In my grandparents' time, everyone lived in little villages and everyone knew each other and people were friendly and not fearful of each other. These days, if you start talking to a stranger in person, they think you're crazy. I almost feel like the world has gotten too big. Now that we have access to every corner of it, most people don't bother getting to know the people around them. I have never said a word to my neighbours, for example. There is so much fear and distrust in the world, it's very sad.

I have met so many fantastic people online who I consider to be my very best friends and I am not discounting those relationships at all, but I've still felt lonely. As wonderful as meeting people from all over the place is, there's no substitute for hanging out with people in person, imo. Sure people have 1000 facebook friends but how many of them do they have meaningful conversations with? I find social media to be quite a shallow interaction, but then again, I don't really use it to meet people.

I think with the rise of technology, we have lost something important. Sometimes I will stand in an area full of people and everyone is avoiding eye contact with everyone else and staring at their phones and they honestly seem like a pack of zombies. I think we are more connected than ever, but more disconnected than ever from our surroundings and the people around us. Some people will adapt to this easily and some won't, and I think that can breed loneliness in itself.
    GCEA

10. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
    "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main." - John Donne
    As a woman, I don't know where that leaves me... xD

I do agree with you on what you've said, Sarah. :] Makes a lot of sense. I think feeling lonely for a human is normal. I think you're going to be feeling it regardless of online communications or not.

I would disagree with someone's notion that social media and the use of the internet has made my life lonelier, or less personal, but I can't speak for others. For me, I've found many a friend on Pokémon sites such as this, as well as art sides (DeviantART), and even voice acting forums where I've done projects with people and kept in touch with them. While playing online games on my Playstation, I've met people who now I have on facebook and talk to regularly, because they're awesome. The internet has made my life much more lively. Not only because I can talk to people through a screen, but it also leads to meet-ups. For instance, @Comatose lives a few streets away from me. But we didn't go to the same school, or anything else together, so there's no way I could have known him had it not been for PE2K/PXR. We don't hang out all the time or anything but he's become a pretty good friend.

I've not only felt much more at home on places like the forum as opposed to real life, but also more educated. I've learned so much from other people, and from myself, by being online. DA, for example: I only draw as a hobby, but I've certainly improved over the years thanks to the countless support and motivation over there. Back on PE2K I learned many very valuable grammar techniques which I had not previously known. Then there are the people who I'd love to go and visit overseas if I ever get the chance. I think in this instance, Pokemon brings people together, whether that's online or irl.

So I don't know. I think for some people, they might use the internet differently and feel more more alone as a result. For me, absolutely not. The internet is pretty much a blessing. :,]

Oooh philosophical debate.... awesome

To me loneliness is always increased when in a large crowd.

Put me in a room by myself reading a good book or watching TV and I am perfectly happy. No people to distract me and i can just focus on what I am doing.

Add a crowd however and suddenly the addition of a lot of people who you are not interacting with points out the fact that you are alone. What today's constant connection with the world has done is allow that crowd to always be present. There are always hundreds or thousands of people just a mouse click away which increases the feeling of loneliness exponentially.

Thankfully the cure is only a mouse click away, get online and say hi to someone, give them a smiley face and get one in return, just to let everyone know that they have someone who thinks they are awesome and worth the time.

P.S. here are smileys for everyone because you are all awesome and worth the time to talk to.

13. This post has been liked by: