Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Last semester I was in school I was an English major. I didn't apply myself very much in math because I didn't find it interesting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus View Post
    Last semester I was in school I was an English major. I didn't apply myself very much in math because I didn't find it interesting at all.
    Math Education major here >.>' Although I intend to pursue something in English (Mom pushes me, and my English college professor was like "GREAT SCOTT GIRL DO SOMETHING WITH THIS TALENT!"). Eventually, I'll get a Masters/Doctrine in Meteorology, my long held dream.

Funkiest math teacher/writer chasing tornadoes, yes. B)

Made by the awesome X-Kun~

I can't explain my relationship with math. I'm sort of like, "Interesting, *rubs chin*" but at the same time, I gaze out the window at the glorious rain of sunbeams on the tiny, emerald razors and yearn for precious freedom. ;_;

English major primarily because I think it could help me later on in life. But honestly? At this point, I don't know.

Meterology sounds fantastic, though! And you may possibly be able to teach some classes in math at a college on the side, as long as you don't take on too much. If nothing else you can do online classes or soemthing to rake in a little extra.

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 05-01-2016 at 09:20 PM.

I just graduated from high school, but I'm hoping to major in pure math and possibly computer science.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus View Post
    I didn't apply myself very much in math because I didn't find it interesting at all.
    It's so sad that so many people think this! Math is full of interesting things. For example: the fact that you only need four colors to paint a map such that no two adjacent regions have the same color, the notion that some infinities are bigger than others, or even a simple puzzle that makes us question our probabilistic intuition. There's so much more to math than what you might experience in the classroom.

I majored in Architecture for 5 highly stressful years. I now have a Bachelor, Honours, and Masters in it and can't get a job because the industry is completely dead. Another large firm just closed down in my city a couple of weeks ago, so yeah. I'm currently working as Communications Manager for a training company which I enjoy, but my partner and I are well on our way to starting our own furniture design company, which is equally exciting and terrifying, all at the same time. Long story short kids, don't study something that doesn't have an almost guaranteed job at the end of it unless you absolutely love it and couldn't see yourself doing anything else.

Gastly
    Haunter @ 995

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune's Disciple View Post
    Long story short kids, don't study something that doesn't have an almost guaranteed job at the end of it unless you absolutely love it and couldn't see yourself doing anything else.
    This is honestly one of my biggest fears about studying math. It'd be amazing to be a research mathematician, but I don't know if I have the talent to succeed in academia... And from what I heard, industry jobs are hard to come by for pure math majors with no experience in other fields.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I'm currently half way through a doctorate in genetics in a developmental biology lab. I've always loved science and knew I would end up doing something related to that, but I found it really hard to pick which science to go with. I enjoyed genetics the most during undergrad so that's where I ended up! I've also started doing some teaching in undergrad lab classes and I'm really enjoying it, so that's another option as well.
    GCEA

8. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I'm currently half way through a doctorate in genetics in a developmental biology lab. I've always loved science and knew I would end up doing something related to that, but I found it really hard to pick which science to go with. I enjoyed genetics the most during undergrad so that's where I ended up! I've also started doing some teaching in undergrad lab classes and I'm really enjoying it, so that's another option as well.
    We should totally chat about that recent, crazy evolutionary hypothesis that pigs and chimpanzees can breed and eventually gave birth to humans. Ignore all of the transitional fossil evidence and the fact that chimpanzees can't even breed with humans, let alone pigs. Ridiculous, I know, but fun nonetheless.

What precisely are you studying in genetics?

I want to do something in the medical field. I still have about 1 year and 11 months left in the United States Army, so I'm taking advantage of the Tuition Assistance and getting basic classes knocked out so when I'm finally out I can go straight into the actual studies. I've been looking at two jobs, either an Anesthesiologist Assistant or Nuclear Medicine Technologist. The AA is a ton of school, 6-8 years, but once I'm done I'd be financially stable and have a job that I wouldn't mind. The NMT ranges from 1-4 years and the outcome isn't bad and neither is the salary. I'm not exactly sure what the degree would be for it right now though. My options are still open.

So many smart, ambitious people. Go for it guys! ^u^

I've changed my plans a little. I'm going to major in English and focus on Children's Lit. My minor will likely become Sociology, and after I get my B.A, I'd like to try for Education. I'm hoping to be a Teacher Librarian, so I can still be in library, but also promote a love of reading and learning ^^
    Paired with my sweet sunshine, DVB