Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    Like others have said, your style is adorable! I love that pikachu/mimikyu pic.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Aww thanks you guys, you're all so lovely and supportive! :) I'm just excited that I seem to have an actual 'style' now!!! xD
    GCEA

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

So these are not sketches but I was transferring some photos from my phone to my laptop and thought I'd share some of the craft things I've made in the last 1-2 years. xD Today I'll talk about a really fun cross-stitch project I did.

My grandma taught me to cross-stitch when I was quite little. A couple years ago, I thought I would have another go at it. I had forgotten everything I'd learned by that point, but it's pretty easy to pick up! I started out buying some thread, embroidery needles and a pre-printed template that I could cross-stitch over. I never got anywhere near finishing this piece. xD But it was a good way to learn. Here's what it looked like:

Spoiler:

It's a bit hard to tell, but the only part I filled in at this point is the light brown and a bit of light green near the top.

So doing this, I had an idea. I'm not such a fan of the cross-stitch game sprites and stuff. So I decided I wanted to do an actual proper picture. As soon as I saw Speed's amazing TCG pixel overs I knew exactly what to do!!!

I was going to cross-stitch an image from a TCG card! >:D

Speed's TCG pixel overs are great as they use a minimum number of colours but still look fantastic. When cross-stitching, the number of colours is really important. The more colours, the more difficult it is. It quickly gets quite crazy! So my first idea was to do a TCG pixelover on the computer with minimal colours and then use that as a template. But I quickly discovered this was a LOT harder than it looked. And it didn't help that I chose a pretty difficult TCG card to start with...

I quickly gave up on that idea. xD Then I decided to use Photoshop to 'cheat' and get the image down to a reasonable amount of colours (I settled on 11). Once I'd pixelised the Mewtwo TCG using only 11 colours, I had my template! It was off to the shops to try and find thread that matched the colours as close as possible. (This was also really hard xD). I also bought some Aida cloth which is basically some sturdy material with holes in it to cross-stitch through.

And off I went, starting from the outside. It was really hard to get started as the cloth I was working on was totally blank, unlike the practice piece I had used. xD

Some progress shots:

Spoiler:

(you can see a bit of my template at the top of the last photo)

As you can see, using lots of colours gets very messy! Especially when there are only very small patches of a colour somewhere. Then you gotta cut and tie off your thread every time you wanna move around! If I did this again, I would make sure I cleaned up the template before using it, to get rid of any unnecessary pixels and make it way easier to physically stitch. xD

The finished product...

Like sprites, it looks better from further away. In person, from across the room, it looks just like a drawing!

Overall this was a crazy idea for a beginner to attempt XD But I had a lot of fun and I was really pleased with the finished product! It took SO MANY HOURS though. Cross-stitching is really really slow and it killed my hands after a few hours so I did this slowly over like 3 months haha. The best thing is it's really easy for beginners, so if you feel like doing some craft, I would recommend it! But maybe start with either something smaller or less complex. xD This one is 8 x 6 inches iirc, which is apparently 6912 stitches based on the cloth I was using. Needless to say I haven't really had the urge to do more since I finished this one. But I might one day. xD

Tagging @Speed-X cos she asked me about this a long time ago xD
    GCEA

4. This post has been liked by:

SAAAAARAAAAAAAAAH THAT LOOKS AMAZING! Oh my gosh! How awesome. O: I've seen people do things like this before but I LOVE how yours turned out! Imagine a tapestry-sized one. 0v0 Really cool. C: Nice work! Go Grandma! XD

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

:O

:O :O

Wowzors. That is REALLY impressive! I have no idea how to cross-stitch, but that looks like it took a while. Still, you aced that thing like there was nothing to it!

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    SAAAAARAAAAAAAAAH THAT LOOKS AMAZING! Oh my gosh! How awesome. O: I've seen people do things like this before but I LOVE how yours turned out! Imagine a tapestry-sized one. 0v0 Really cool. C: Nice work! Go Grandma! XD
    Thank you!!! Haha yeah I have this grandma thing down already! 8D A taepstry sized one would be so awesome but I can't even imagine how many years that would take :O I've seen huge tapestry templates for sale at Lincraft, it's incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    :O

:O :O

Wowzors. That is REALLY impressive! I have no idea how to cross-stitch, but that looks like it took a while. Still, you aced that thing like there was nothing to it!
    Haha thanks Neo! :D
    GCEA

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Oh my god that is amazing. XD I love cross stitching, but I haven't done it in a good few years. You make it look so easy, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Thank you!!! Haha yeah I have this grandma thing down already! 8D A taepstry sized one would be so awesome but I can't even imagine how many years that would take :O I've seen huge tapestry templates for sale at Lincraft, it's incredible!
    XD "The grandma thing." Yeah, true. I think you'd have to be someone with a lot of time on their hands, and motivation.

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Gible-Max for the Valentine's event! These were fun colours to play with!

GCEA

11. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Gible-Max for the Valentine's event! These were fun colours to play with!

Its really adorable. The shading and color are great. You did the little monster right.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......