Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Actually Prefers Popeyes Kentucky Fried Torchic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HKim View Post
    Perhaps the RP setting involves some sort of day/night cycle idea. It doesn't have to be about the forces of day vs. the forces of night, but perhaps how the world might differ each cycle. Maybe people have different powers during the day vs. the night. Or maybe during the day, people are human and during the night, they are Pokemon. Lots of possibilities.
    Some possible sources of inspiration for this that I can think off of the top of my head could be The Legend of Zelda: The Majora's Mask with it's reliance on times passage to move the story along as well as the presence of a big scary moon, and the plane of Lorwyn from Magic the Gathering where a bright sunny fantasy world coexists with a shadowy, more sinister counterpart and the shift between day and night results in some pretty profound shifts in setting and character.

Overall, I think that this Sun/Moon conception has a lot of potential behind it.
    Dreams do come a size too big. It's so that we can grow into them.

Current Projects:
    Fanfiction: Pokémon: Exodus (Chapter six of nine posted)
    Nuzlocke: "Dude, Where's My Bellsprout?": A Totally Radical Red Version Nuzlocke

Avatar by the illustrious Neo Emolga.

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasm.Angel View Post
    Some possible sources of inspiration for this that I can think off of the top of my head could be The Legend of Zelda: The Majora's Mask with it's reliance on times passage to move the story along as well as the presence of a big scary moon, and the plane of Lorwyn from Magic the Gathering where a bright sunny fantasy world coexists with a shadowy, more sinister counterpart and the shift between day and night results in some pretty profound shifts in setting and character.

Overall, I think that this Sun/Moon conception has a lot of potential behind it.

There we go. That's the way to do it!

If people really wanted to have a "winning" team, you could set it up so that a member can choose which team their point goes to. But you can make it so that a member isn't forced to submit points to a single team. One week, they may decide to support Sun and the next week, Moon. Or perhaps in Art they want to do a Sun submission while in RP, they're more of a Moon character.

Then it just becomes a fun race to see which version wins. We can award participants, at the end, an emblem that depicts the winning side. (Or perhaps the design for 2016 Summer Event will be a sun or moon depending on which version wins). Similarly, prizes in the URPG and/or ASB and/or other can be based on which version wins. A forum theme can be designed based on the winning version. This adds a little weight to the competition without making it a win/lose situation. Everyone is a winner!

3. This post has been liked by:

Im going to re start up the Region Creation Project. If we can get it back on track it could a month long "event".

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Harry, you're a genius, I love the Sun/Moon idea you came up with. And this...

Or maybe during the day, people are human and during the night, they are Pokemon. Lots of possibilities.
    ...is an AWESOME idea for an RP. Simple, but very sweet and satisfying to think about. :)

I don't even think we need points. Just having two "camps," one for Sun and the other for Moon would probably work just fine. Awarding badges instead would be just fine, and competition victories could just be done on an individual basis.

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Harry, you're a genius, I love the Sun/Moon idea you came up with. And this...

...is an AWESOME idea for an RP. Simple, but very sweet and satisfying to think about. :)

I don't even think we need points. Just having two "camps," one for Sun and the other for Moon would probably work just fine. Awarding badges instead would be just fine, and competition victories could just be done on an individual basis.

Just building on the ideas put forth by Trainer17 and Phantasm.

I like the term of camps. We might be well served moving away from the terminology used during the War to give this all a new spin.

Senior Administrator

Just building on the ideas put forth by Trainer17 and Phantasm.

I like the term of camps. We might be well served moving away from the terminology used during the War to give this all a new spin.
    I really don't want this to die so... *casts Revive.*

I like the idea of having two camps, but riddle me this. What if those two "camps" were alliances with separate teams as a part of them? So what if we had something like this:

SUN ALLIANCE
    Team A
    Team B
    Team C

MOON ALLIANCE
    Team D
    Team E
    Team F

Or something along those lines. This way, you still have two separate alliances, but people are still free to create internal teams based on a unique theme that catches their interest, although for scoring purposes, all the points A, B, and C earn all get added together for Sun and same goes for D, E, and F for Moon.

In RP terms, going back to your previous example, let's just say there's an anomaly where during the day, humans are normal, but during the night, they become Pokémon (or Pokémorphs as a kind of lycanthropy). We could also make sure the team traits are similar, such as the Sun Alliance teams wanting to undo the anomalous effects of this nightly transformation while Moon Alliance teams wish to embrace it, make it permanent, and put an end to humanity (the only thing I'm wary about is figuring out the passage of time and what hour it is in the RP itself in relation to world location, since that's always an ambiguous detail, but with some creative tweaking I think we can figure something out). Meanwhile, within these alliances, teams have their own personal goals that can be worked toward. For example, you could have Team Flora, a nature-loving, grass-type team as a Sun Alliance team while Team Nox, a dark/ghost/poison type team that loves the darkness be a Moon Alliance team. To add to that, Team Firestorm could be a fire-type, chaotic-good team for the Sun Alliance while Team Dusk could be a Moon Alliance team that uses ninja-like tactics, covert operations, sabotage, and stealth stuff.

Events... to combat the problems of the WAR we faced last year, I'd say only have no more than two sections going on at once with a two-week submission time (RP being the exception, that's always going on). So let's say Creative Writing and Graphic Art go on for two weeks, followed by URPG and Drawn Art for weeks 3 and 4, followed by Humor and Showdown for weeks 5 and 6, and so on. That way, submission times feel a lot more sane, judging panels can be larger with fewer sections going on at once, and judges don't get worn down from running the same section for so many weeks. Two weeks is a lot easier on the brain. I think having Sun and Moon or Morning and Night themes would be great ideas, and we could try to work those in as best as possible. It would be easier since sections would only be running for two weeks, so there would only be one judging criteria to go with: Sun and Moon!

And if people don't want points, hey, we can do tokens instead. But if we do go with points, I say significantly jack up the number of points awarded. As in judges assign 100 points to be distributed among all the entries, so someone could get at least something for participating. First place could get something like 35, second place 25, third place 15, fourth could get 10, and others could get 5 or whatever. That way, people could feel like they're at least winning something even if they're not a part of the top three.

So... how would people feel about that?

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I like getting points for participating (as long as some effort was put in) and not just for 1st 2nd 3rd. I tried to suggest that for previous WARs but people thought that people might enter crappy things just to get points, which was a fair comment.
    GCEA

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I like getting points for participating (as long as some effort was put in) and not just for 1st 2nd 3rd. I tried to suggest that for previous WARs but people thought that people might enter crappy things just to get points, which was a fair comment.
    Yeah, I think that's a biggie that would make people a lot happier (and Neko's idea for it made sense, just have a much bigger pot of points to work with). I know with Creative Writing last year, there were a bunch of entries that I felt at least deserved something, but I only had so many points to distribute.

I also think the idea of having alliances and allied teams would be fun and cool to try out. But yeah, we would need to find a way to keep the alliances as balanced as possible to each other, but that should be easier than trying to keep half a dozen individual teams at the exact same number of players. If an official said "hey, the Moon Alliance needs people," that would at least give people a selection of individual teams to hop onto since all those Moon Alliance teams would be working together, but just with different characteristics.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Yeah, I think that's a biggie that would make people a lot happier (and Neko's idea for it made sense, just have a much bigger pot of points to work with). I know with Creative Writing last year, there were a bunch of entries that I felt at least deserved something, but I only had so many points to distribute.

I also think the idea of having alliances and allied teams would be fun and cool to try out. But yeah, we would need to find a way to keep the alliances as balanced as possible to each other, but that should be easier than trying to keep half a dozen individual teams at the exact same number of players. If an official said "hey, the Moon Alliance needs people," that would at least give people a selection of individual teams to hop onto since all those Moon Alliance teams would be working together, but just with different characteristics.
    Yeah the alliances is a good idea, Neo. Maybe you could even have people join teams like normal and then sort the teams into Sun and Moon alliances right at the end so that they'll be fair, based on which trams ended up being more popular. I dunno. I didn't really have a problem with WAR so I'm not sure how far we have to move from it to make everyone happy. But I think your idea is good. :)
    GCEA

Actually Prefers Popeyes Kentucky Fried Torchic's Avatar
    I really like the idea of alliances being made up of smaller teams because that seems to me like a more realistic depiction of large-scale conflict, historically speaking at least. Big tent alliances can lead to an interesting variety of interests working towards some common goal (like say the American republic, the Soviet Union, and the British Empire), and to me this possibility of throwing together groups that might not seem like natural allies at first glance improves my reception of Sarah's idea of not announcing the composition of the two alliances closer to the start of the actual event.
    Dreams do come a size too big. It's so that we can grow into them.

Current Projects:
    Fanfiction: Pokémon: Exodus (Chapter six of nine posted)
    Nuzlocke: "Dude, Where's My Bellsprout?": A Totally Radical Red Version Nuzlocke

Avatar by the illustrious Neo Emolga.