Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Art Feature: Pokemon Evolution In-Progress

You level up and your Pokemon starts glowing… it’s evolving! And in 5 seconds your Pokemon has completely changed into a brand new form that may have very little resemblance to the cute creature it was merely moments earlier.
    But what if Pokemon didn’t evolve all at once? That’s what the artist behind the In-Progress Pokemon Tumblr wanted to know, so they began to create in-between evolutions for Pokemon, showing their gradual progression between forms.
    #174.5 – Dratini often mature in isolation from human contact. They repeatedly shed their skin as they age, and as the life energy inside them becomes too powerful to contain, small stone-like beads begin to form and collect that energy.
    #175.5 – As Dragonair get older, they gradually develop stubby limbs that grow larger and stronger over a long period of time, while small but powerful wings begin to form under the protection of their durable hide. When the wings are fully developed, the skin around them sheds, releasing them. Dragonair are also known to mysteriously eat their orbs when they fall off with age.

Complete with Pokedex entries describing these new transitional forms, InProgressPokemon is an experiment that will interest Pokemon theory and art fans alike. You can see some of the work below, and visit In-Progress Pokemon for more.
    Which is your favourite?

Read more or post a comment.

Ooooo these are awesome looking! Really tempted to try something like this myself C:
    Mewtwo banner and avatar by Pokemon Trainer Sarah!

'I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.' -Mewtwo

My Art! | ASB Stats | My Nuzlocke

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

You should Gigi! It's really cool to see some like Dragonite which look so different to their previous evolutions! The Exeggutor one really freaks me out though. xD
    GCEA

AAAAAA I LOVE THESE THINGS SO MUCH. <3 A DeviantARTist named Esepibe hosted a contest with this as the theme a few years back ago, except she referred to it as "slow evolution." Either way, the contest yielded TONS of cool entries and thus lots of really neat ideas. During the contest, though, there were usually more than just one design per evolution. So for instance, there would have been two stages illustrated between Dratini and Dragonair, and two stages between Dragonair and Dragonite.

This person has a LOT of these on their tumblr, so I encourage you guys to check them ALL out! She even has some flavor text for each one. It'd be so cool to start an art project with this as the theme here on the forums <3

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

This reminds me of one picture I saw once about a scyther who had a slow evolution into a scizor and it was explained as really painful, and sorta crept me out. O_o I prefer the whole "insta-evolution" method, BUT it's awesome to see speculative mid-stage evolutions.

These are great and at the same time look really, really creepy. LOL! Creepy in a good way.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

Some of the transitions are kind of gross....a half evolved butterfly..lol

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    This reminds me of one picture I saw once about a scyther who had a slow evolution into a scizor and it was explained as really painful, and sorta crept me out. O_o I prefer the whole "insta-evolution" method, BUT it's awesome to see speculative mid-stage evolutions.
    Do you know where you found it? I'm interested now.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    You should Gigi!
    I tried to think of some to do but all the ones I thought of have been done by this person D: Hrm, though I guess it might not hurt to do the same line in a different way. I'd just feel like I'm making it different just to be different though.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    It'd be so cool to start an art project with this as the theme here on the forums <3
    ...why don't we? :D
    Mewtwo banner and avatar by Pokemon Trainer Sarah!

'I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.' -Mewtwo

My Art! | ASB Stats | My Nuzlocke

Unless you'd like to start it, Gigi, I have too much on my hands as of late. xD

------------